I have interesting discussions with atheists all the time here on Facebook and more than once they have brought a scripture up to me, defying me to show them proof to back up Jesus’ words.Jesus Said of Moses: “He wrote about Me…..”Jesus made a very curious remark to the Jewish leaders in the gospel of John.They were questioning him about something, and He said to them:
John 5:46 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.”
If you go looking through the first 5 books of the Bible, you will not see the name of Jesus mentioned. But I believe that God wants us to search deep into His Word for answers, and what I am about to show you, in my opinion is divine prophecy forecasting the Son of God , dying for the sins of the world. But you say to me, Pastor Darrell, if it had been in there the Jews would have seen it. Some say in history that they did and chose to ignore it in order to propagate their own religious ends. God lays it out for those who have spiritual eyes to see it, and ears to hear what the Spirit of God is saying through His word.
Jesus said Moses spoke of Him and He did. We are going to look at Genesis 5, and unlock a Bible Code. When I first saw this, I was jumping out of my seat. Below is a shortened version of Genesis the 5th chapter with the material we need for this piece.
- This is the written account of Adam’s line. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. He called him man.
Adam he had a son he named him Seth.
- Seth became the father of Enosh.
- Enosh had became the father of Kenan.
- Kenan became the father of Mahalalel.
- Mahalalel became the father of Jared.
- Jared became the father of Enoch.
- Enoch became the father of Methuselah.
- Methuselah became the father of Lamech.
- Lamech had a son, he named him Noah
What we are going to do in this piece is translate the meaning of the ten names mentioned in the genealogy of Adam. In these names is the prophecy of the “Second Adam”, the Son of God who would redeem the world from sin.
Since the ten Hebrew names are proper names, they are not translated but only transliterated to approximate the way they were pronounced. The meaning of proper names is a little difficult since direct translations are not easily available. A study of the original roots in the Hebrew has yielded some fascinating results.
I am going to go through the names one by one and then at the end add them together to show the secret Bible code of Genesis 5, supporting the verse in John 5:46 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.”
- Let’s take the first name, Adam, comes from adomah, and means “man.” As the first man, that is fairly simple Adam means…..MAN
- Seth…Adam’s son was named Seth, which means “appointed.” When he was born Eve said, “For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.” Seth’s name means…APPOINTED
- Enosh….Seth’s son was called Enosh, which means “mortal,” “frail,” or “miserable.” It is from the root anash: Which is translated literally…….MORTAL
- Kenan…….Enosh’s son was named Kenan, from which can mean “sorrow,” dirge,” or “elegy….Literally translated….SORROW
- Mahalalel……..Kenan’s son was Mahalalel, from mahalal, which means “blessed”, or “praise”; and El, the name for God. Thus, Mahalalel means literally…. THE BLESSED GOD
- Jared…Mahalalel’s son was named Jared, from the verb yaradh, Literal meaning …SHALL COME DOWN
- Enoch……Jared’s son was named Enoch, which means “teaching,” or “commencement.” He was the first of four generations of preachers. Literal translation……TEACHING
- Methuselah …….The name Methuselah comes from two roots: muth, a root that means “death”; and from shalach, which means “to bring,” or “to send forth.” Thus, the name Methuselah literally translated means….HIS DEATH SHALL BRING
- Lamech……Methuselah’s son was named Lamech, a root still evident today in our own English word, “lament” or “lamentation.” Lamech literally translated means DESPARRING
- Noah…….Lamech, of course, is the father of Noah, which is derived from nacham . Noah literally translated means ……COMFORT
Now let’s put them all in order into a sentence……
Man (has) Appointed Mortal Sorrow ;( but) The Blessed God Shall Come Down Teaching, (and) His Death Shall Bring the Despairing Comfort
Here in Genesis for those who have the wisdom to see is God’s plan of redemption, hidden here within a genealogy of the first 10 men to live.
This story reaches deeper than you may think at first glance. The truth of this genealogy shows that in chapter 5 of the Book of Genesis, God had already laid out His plan to redeem mankind for the sin of Adam. Genesis is the beginning of a love story, written in the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ on a cross over 2000 years ago. Thank you Lord for your sacrifice, and thank you for the truth of your Word. Moses knew and Jesus knew, all the way back in Genesis the 5th Chapter.