This is a touchy subject to write about, but one I feel needs to be addressed within the Body of Christ. One of the greatest lies of the enemy is that we can do things in secret; that we can hide our sin and it will never be found out. This is not true, but a lie of the enemy. God’s word tells us that everything that is done in secret or in the darkness will see the full light of day. We are to guard our minds and our flesh. We are to ask ourselves before committing a questionable act, “Am I willing for my friends and family to find out what I am thinking of doing”?
This verse in Luke is clear, however if we look at the actions of many individuals we would think that mankind does not believe that God is always watching. The world’s attitude is, “what right does anyone have to tell someone else how to live if they’re not hurting anyone?”
We hear the stories every year of some person whose life was changed or destroyed by things that were done in secret. In the 1990s we had a president that was caught in his philandering ways. Just this year there have been congressmen, senators, professional athletes, celebrities, and world figures that have had the sins they committed in secret revealed to the world, in many cases destroying their marriage, careers and life. God knew the results that sin would have on our lives as hidden secrets were revealed, that is why the scripture in Luke is such a stern warning.
We seem to always point to someone else in sins that are hidden. It is easier to see sin in our brother or sister than in ourselves. It is even easier to see the sins in the world, and not in ourselves. There’s something self-righteous and hypocritical within a lot of us that cries out for the preacher to “let those other people have it!”
But in fact it is WE the body of Christ that Satan is attacking and we are hiding our sins in the darkness by the lies and tricks of the enemy and it is having a devastating effect within the body of Christ. With the growth of the internet and the accessibility of information available at our fingertips the enemy has added an old but renewed, more powerful and deadly weapon to destroy the believer, pornography. Let’s look at some statistics that are having an adverse effect on the church.
- March 20, 2007: At a men’s summit in Oregon before 2,000 men, Shelley Lubben of Shelley Lubben ministries challenged those who were struggling with porn addiction to stand. 30% rose to their feet. She immediately challenged them a second time, with the result that some 70% were standing.
- March, 2007: At a small Christian conference in Austria, 75% of the 25 men in attendance admitted to being involved with porn; 50% within the past 6 months.
- April 6, 2007: 70% of Christians admitted to struggling with porn in their daily lives. From a non-scientific poll taken by XXXChurch, as reported by CNN.
- August 7, 2006: 50% of all Christian men and 20% of all Christian women are addicted to pornography. 60% of the women who answered the survey admitted to having significant struggles with lust; 40% admitted to being involved in sexual sin in the past year; and 20% of the church-going female participants struggle with looking at pornography on an ongoing basis.
From the results of a ChristiaNet poll reported by Marketwire.com
- 34 percent of female readers of Today’s Christian Woman’s online newsletter admitted to intentionally accessing Internet porn in a recent poll.
- A 2000 MSNBC.com survey found that as many as 80 percent of visitors to sex sites were spending so much time tracking down erotica on the computer that they were putting their real-life relationships and/or jobs at risk. “Until they discovered cybersex, most of these people had no problems with sexual addition”, according to the survey’s author, Al Cooper, a sex therapist at the San Jose Marital Services and Sexuality Center in San Jose, Calif.
We as those that have been redeemed by the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ need to ourselves stand together in righteousness. We need to be purified and sanctified in our daily living. We should not let our mind or our eyes stray from that which is good, pure and holy. We know that everything that we do we shall have to account for as the scripture tells us in 2 Corinthians 5:10
We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.
We know this to be a fact yet the knowledge of this does not even deter many of us, as statistics show. There are many of us that believe that we can sin against God, our friends and family members and never be discovered or exposed. But God has provided a safeguard against our sin, and that is the certainty that it will be discovered. Let’s look to Ephesians 5:11 for instruction
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light, for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
“Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
As believers we are to be the light that the world sees expelling the darkness of sin by our righteous lives in Christ Jesus. We cannot allow sin to continue in our lives, for light cannot dwell with darkness. We can insure that our sins will not be exposed if we do not commit them, by living our lives blameless as we are purified in our minds by the power of the Holy Spirit. When God saves us from sin, He doesn’t just want to see an outward change in us. He wants to see a complete inner transformation of the way we think. We are called to renew our minds, casting off our old ways of thinking and rejecting the world’s wisdom.
Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
I pray that each and every believer will guard their hearts and minds and stand against the attack of the enemy upon every family in the Body of Christ. There are real people, individuals, husbands, wives and children whose lives have been and are still being destroyed by the sins of the darkness that He always brings to light. Look to God and His Word, and guard yourself in prayer and supplication before the Lord. Pray for your brother and sister, and pray for your pastor and your church. The temptation to compromise comes in all forms. Don’t do it; be the light of the world that Christ might be glorified in your life.